This Summer Black Bean Quinoa Salad is the Perfect side dish for the 4th of July or any other summer cookout or gathering.
The sweetness of the mango & red bell pepper really complements the nutty flavor of the quinoa and subtle flavor of the beans. The addition of cilantro and lime juice add a little Mexican flavor, while the red wine vinegar adds a touch of sweetness. Olive oil brings up the caboose and brings all the flavors together.
Not only is it chock full of nutrient dense ingredients, every bite is full of yummy goodness. So much goodness, people won’t even know they’re eating something good for ’em.
Since I’ve told you this side dish is good for you, let’s have a little talk…
Benefits of this Summer Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- A gluten-free grain
- A vegetarian option for a complete protein
- Full of vitamins & minerals
- High in antioxidants
2. Black Beans
- High in fiber (good option for improving blood sugar, digestion, heart disease & lowering blood pressure)
- Great vegetarian option for protein
- Full of minerals for bone strength
- Low-Sugar fruit
- Heart Healthy Fat
- Better source of potassium than bananas
- Has antioxidants to support eye health
- Powerhouse of vitamins
- Contains enzymes to aid digestion
- The prebiotic fiber feeds the good gut bacteria
5. Red Bell Pepper
- Loaded with Vitamins A & C
- Antioxidants for eye health
- Great for weight loss
6. Red Onion
- Anti-Inflammatory properties
- Contains the anti-cancer agent quercetin
- Has compounds that help regulate blood sugar
- May help lower cholesterol & blood pressure
- Helps rid the body of heavy metals
- Has natural sedative qualities
8. Olive Oil
- Great source of Monounsaturated Fat (that’s a heart-healthy fat BTW)
- Booming with antioxidants
- Has anti-bacterial properties
- A great anti-inflammatory
Not only is this Summer Black Bean Quinoa Salad good for ya, it’s… 1.) so quick & easy to make, 2.) can be made the night before (actually gives it time to soak up all the flavors meld–I love that word!), 3.) can easily be doubled or tripled, plus you can 4.) eat it chilled or at room temp, whichever you little heart desires.
- 2c Cooked Quinoa, Cooled (Tri colored pops in this recipe)
- 1 (14.5oz) Can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- ½ – 1 Mango, Diced
- ½ Small Red Onion, Diced or thinly sliced
- ¼c Cilantro, Finely Chopped
- ½ Avocado, Diced (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- ¼tsp Fresh Ground Pepper, or to taste
- ¼tsp Himalayan Salt, or to taste
- Cook quinoa according to the instructions on the package. 1 cup dry quinoa = abt 2 cups cooked
- While the quinoa is cooking, drain & rinse the beans & chop, dice or slice the bell pepper, mango, onion, & cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, diced bell pepper, diced mango, diced or sliced red onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Pour dressing over quinoa salad and gently toss to coat.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Add diced avocado right before serving & gently toss 1 more time.
I hope this becomes your go-to recipe for your summer cookouts/BBQ. Try not to eat the entire batch, but I won’t judge you if you do. 😉 When you give it a go, come back & let me know what you think.